“Khwooff! the blast of his blowhole was as loud as a geyser. The bull orca passed just in front of our kayaks, about 25 meters out, surfacing straight ahead, so close we could see the white patch by his eye, the greyish tinge of his back, and follow the whole graceful black and white curve and arc of him, from nose to tail, as he dove again.” So it was recorded by one of our guests who brought his 13-year-old son on a tour they would share over their lifetime. He and his son had never sea kayaked before. Under the guidance of our expert leaders, beginners are instructed in the basics of kayaking and safety.
Our guided orca kayaking adventure in Johnstone Strait, situated between mainland B.C. and Vancouver Island, is the best place in the world to see these magnificent orca whales. Every summer resident orca pods return to the waters to socialize and feed on salmon returning to spawn in various creeks, streams, and rivers.
Our lead guides are members of the Sea Kayak Guides Alliance of BC. They are a non-profit society that upholds high standards for professional sea kayak guides and operators in BC. Through ongoing professional development and certification, the Alliance strives to ensure safe practices on an industry-wide basis.
- our dates are set for the best chances to see orca whales sometime during your trip.
- all campsites are on the coast which also enhances the chances of seeing orcas from the shore.
- abundant marine wildlife including other whale species, seals/sea lions, porpoises, eagles, cormorants.
- a fluid itinerary permits better chances of orca encounters and addresses group abilities and input to the experience.
- we adhere to the guidelines that have been established for orca viewing.
OTHER BRITISH COLUMBIA SEA KAYAK ADVENTURE LINKS
Broken Group Islands The 100 + Islands of Barkley Sound/Western Vancouver Island
Nootka Sound: In the wake of Capt James Cook
- Orcas: Booking, Trip Dates, & Pricing
- Have a question?
- Orcas Itinerary
- Why Select us for your Adventure?
- Our Covid19 Tour Practices
“Just wanted to let you all know what an awesome time we all had on our recent trip with you to Johnstone Strait. The trip was very well organized. Georgia and Janet worked very well together and we all felt safe and comfortable under their care. The food was good and plentiful. Len, by now you have probably heard that we saw some whales on each day of our trip! How the girls arranged that I’m not sure, but it sure was exciting.” ~ Robert Smyth and Family, Ontario